Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Carrots and Cutie Pies

In the last couple of months people have been asking me about "Un-Recipes". While I haven't posted in a VERY long time, I am finally back at it! Where have I been you may ask...so this is what I have been up to...

On June 2nd, our family was blessed with the arrival of cutie pie number three. Our new son, Yeshayahu (Shaya for short), has added much joy and laughter to our home and we thank Hashem for giving us this precious gift :) The addition to our family has certainly kept me very busy...and so while I have of course been cooking, I have simply not had the time to blog....but here is to a new year with many new blog posts!

With Rosh Hashanah quickly approaching (tomorrow night!) it is a good time to reflect upon the past and look towards the future. As I get ready to celebrate this special holiday with my family I am truly grateful for the many blessings I have in my life. I thank Hashem for my wonderful husband, my three beautiful children and for the happy home we all share.  I thank Hashem for the health of my family and for allowing us to see so many blessings each and every day. As Rosh Hashanah approaches I consider myself lucky for the wonderful life which we lead.

As I look towards the future, I pray that G-d will once again grant my family a sweet year  - a year overflowing with happiness and blessings!


It is customary to eat carrots on Rosh Hashanah. The Yiddish word for merits carrots - mehrin - also means merits. It is our hope that our year will be filled with "merits" and many good deeds. Many people serve tzimmes at their Rosh Hashanah dinner, I however have yet to develop a taste for this sweet carrot dish. Over the years I have started to simply incorporate carrots into our dinner in other ways. This year we will be having a Mediterranean carrot salad.

With that dear friends, I wish you a K'tiva Va'chatima Tova, L'shana Tova U'mituka - may you be inscribed and sealed for a good and sweet year.

Happy cooking!

Mediterranean Carrot Salad

Carrots, peeled and cut into round slices
Olive oil
Fresh parsley, chopped
Fresh garlic, minced
Cumin
Lemon juice
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Boil carrots until soft (but still firm enough that they won't fall apart). Drain carrots and cool. Mix carrots with olive oil, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve. 
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment