Monday, May 30, 2011

Grilled Chicken Skewers

When Memorial Day rolls around I think summer. Like many others, I enjoy spending the day with my family doing something fun:) Today we headed out bright and early in the morning and went to Busch Gardens. Yes it was over 90 degrees and we were slowly starting to melt, but I really love watching my kids faces on their favorite rides - and the looks on their faces when Levi and I won the giant stuffed banana they have been eyeing for weeks was priceless.

Along with spending hours outside, barbecuing is another sure sign for me that summer is here. After we got home we busily worked to get dinner ready. We grilled chicken-veggie skewers, onions, asparagus and pineapple and added some corn on the cob to the mix. Kudos to Levi for grilling our yummy feast on this super, duper hot day.

Sometimes I wonder if heading out to an amusement park and finishing the day with a BBQ are proper observances of Memorial Day.  Today while I was doing this thinking, it occurred to me that it is because of our dedicated, brave and committed service men and women that we are able to celebrate in this fashion. Of course I stopped to think about those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country, and of course I am truly grateful to these brave men and women and their families. At the same time, I am so thankful that we continue to live in a free land - and that we can choose to spend the day enjoying our many freedoms.

Here is the "recipe" for the chicken skewers so that you too can enjoy a yummy summer BBQ :)

Chicken Veggie Skewers


Chicken breast - cut into chunks
Portobello mushrooms
Yellow sqaush
Onions
Red peppers
Fresh basil
Fresh garlic
Canola oil
Rice vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Oregano


(If you are using wooden skewers, you will need to soak them in water for about 20 minutes or so before using - this will prevent them from burning.)


Cut chicken breast and place in a bowl with some oil, rice vinegar, minced garlic and basil, pepper and oregano. Wash veggies and cut into chunks, place in a bowl with oil, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, minced garlic,  minced basil and oregano. Allow both the chicken and the vegetables to marinate (though in a pinch I only let them sit for about 10 minutes).  Alternating with chicken and vegetables, fill the skewers. Grill.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment