Friday, February 7, 2014

Nish Nash Salad


A day doesn't go by that a blog post pops into my brain...the problem is that I never get around to transferring the post from brain to blog. Today I decided it was time to get this post transferred..been meaning to post it for a  year.

One year ago today, my uncle Shaya, of blessed memory, passed away. My uncle was an incredible individual. He was a dreamer and a doer - when he wanted to accomplish something, he didn't let anything get in his way. My uncle and has family have always been a very big part of my life. Growing up, Shaya was a big part of my family. Shaya together with his wife Goldie and my cousins Henya and Yossel, would come visit us many times during the year - and they always came for Rosh Hashanah. Shaya was the Chazan for Rosh Hashanah services for 20+ years at Chabad of Tidewater. When Shaya and Goldie opened their own Chabad House in Harlem, I truly missed hearing his voice as we went through the Rosh Hashanah tefillot. The tunes he sang are the ones that still play in my head on Rosh Hashanah.  Shaya was a lively individual with a great love for life and even greater love for sharing Torah with those around him. Shaya has certainly left his mark on the world - and left it a better place. While a year has gone by, and we still miss him dearly, his memory lives on. It lives on in the beautiful, vibrant Chabad House in Harlem. It lives on in the form of stories our family still shares with each other. It lives on through the lives of the many, many people Shaya touched during his life.

As you may know, our 8 month old son was named for Shaya. We hope that our beautiful baby will grow up to me an incredible individual just like his great uncle Shaya.

The Shabbat after he passed away, I decided to do a little asking around of my cousins and try to pin down what some of his favorite foods were. That Shabbat "Nish Nash Salad" graced our table as we shared stories and memories. This is my interpretation of this salad.


Nish Nash Salad

1 bag shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Sugar
Lemon juice
1/2 bag Nish Nish Crackers

Empty bag of cabbage into a large bowl. Season with mayonnaise, a little bit of mustard, a little salt, pepper, garlic and a little sugar and a few squirts of lemon juice. Mix well. Add crackers to salad just before serving and mix well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment