Sunday, July 24, 2011

Purple Cabbage - Green Grapes

Being the big fan of food that I am, I love to look through food magazines. A few months back I came across the The Food Network Magazine - and I love reading it. I always find some cool tips, ideas or recipes - and of course I just love to read about food.

Looking at their pretty pictures I always say that I am going to try some of the recipes, but of course I am usually in a hurry and fall back on my tried and true foods.

This past Friday I was flipping through the magazine while Levi drove us to BJs to shop for our Shabbat dinner at Chabad House. I came across a pretty picture of a recipe for a red cabbage and grapes salad  - my first reaction was, "who would eat that?". When I described the recipe to Levi he decided we should try it at our kiddush at Chabad House - so I agreed that we would give it a whirl.

I quickly glanced at the recipe to see what the dressing was made of. Not being a huge fan of some of the ingredients I made a mental note to use certain substitutions. In the end, I realized on Shabbat morning that I had left the recipe in my car before Shabbat. I pretty much only remembered that the recipe called for red cabbage, green grapes and dijon mustard (I used regular mustard), and so I made up the dressing as I went along.

When it was time for lunch we placed the salad on the table and hoped for the best. (I must say that the green grapes mixed in with the purple cabbage really did look beautiful.) The salad pretty much vanished and the few people I asked said it tasted good. I finally tasted it myself and was surprised to find that I loved it!

Purple Cabbage and Green Grapes Salad

Purple cabbage
Green grapes, sliced lengthwise
Scallions
Canola oil
Mustard
Rice vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Sugar

Slice purple cabbage and place in a bowl. Slice grapes and add to cabbage. Slice scallions and add to bowl. To dress the salad pour in a little bit of canola oil and rice vinegar. Then add a few squirts of mustard, salt, pepper, garlic and sugar. Mix well and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Normally I would be wary of trying such a recipe. But since it has your approval, Rashi : ) I'm going to try it out for my family on shabbos. Can't wait to see their reactions!

    ReplyDelete