Friday, December 31, 2010

Sweet and Peppery Noodle Kugel

The excitement in our house today is tangible. I believe you could reach out and touch it.

My seven year old daughter Mushky spent 10 days in Arizona at a special overnight camp for children of Shluchim. (Shluchim are the people who run the Chabad Houses all around the globe.) While Mushky was away we were lucky to be able to see some pictures of her online and see that she was really enjoying herself. My heart was beating rapidly as I made my way through security and proceeded to the gate to retrieve Mushky. Seeing her was such an exciting moment! Her eyes were sparkling and she spent the whole ride home giving us all the details. Being a good Jewish mother, I made sure to ask her if she liked the food and if she had enough to eat :) She let me know that some of the food was yucky and some was good - but that nothing was as good as her mommy's food! That being said, I figured we better create some of her favorite Shabbos foods for tonight's dinner.

Amongst the other items on the menu, we will be having a sweet and peppery noodle kugel which Mushky loves.

A few years ago my husband's sister Chanie came for a visit and made this kugel. We loved it so much that we asked for the recipe. I have made some very minor tweaks to the recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Shabbat Shalom and Happy New Year!

Sweet and Peppery Noodle Kugel



4 ½ cups water
¼ cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 lb egg noodles
2 eggs
4 Tb dark brown sugar
3 Tb oil


Boil water, oil, sugar, pepper and salt.  When it comes to a boil turn off the fire but leave the pot on the stove. Mix in the egg noodles. Cover pot and let sit for 15 minutes.  While you are waiting, mix the eggs, brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of oil together. When 15 minutes are over add in the egg mixture. Cover pot and let sit for an additional 15 minutes. After 15 minutes spray a baking dish (around 9 x13) with Pam and pour the mixture into the pan. Bake on 350 until the top of the kugel is brown and slightly crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment