Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pre-Pesach Dinner

You know that feeling of "the calm before the storm"? That is sort of how my life feels at the moment. While it is pretty serene in my home at the moment, I know that Pesach and all that it entails is right around the bend. Luckily, this year we have been able to get our early Peasch preps done in a timely fashion without too much chaos. Yet, knowing that there will be around 170 people between the two Seders at Chabad House, and lots of people for the other meals, I know that the "storm" is coming.

(PS...if you don't have Seder plans yet, you are more than welcome to join us at Chabad House..you can visit www.ChabadofTidewater.com to RSVP)

One of the ways I managed to keep things relatively calm in my home this week is by switching my dinner style for the week. While I am normally the person who makes elaborate dinners, this week it occurred to me that I better just let dinner slide and go with some really easy and simple foods. Less work, less mess, less stress.

So what have we been eating? We've had lots of pasta, lots of eggs, salad and even some pancakes. Tonight I made spaghetti with a homemade vegetable sauce (It's a simplified version of the tomato veggie sauce I make regularly.)  Super delicious and super easy. 

So whether you still need a quick idea for a pre-Pesach dinner, or if you will need something easy when you are relaxing when Pesach is over....this sauce will make your day a little easier.


Easy Tomato-Vegetable Sauce

Canola oil
1 onion
1 red pepper
2 cans Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes
4 fresh basil leaves
Garlic powder
Sugar
Oregano

Place diced onion, diced pepper and a small amount of canola oil in a pot. Sauté vegetables until they are somewhat browned and soft. Add cans of tomato sauce and the can of diced tomatoes. Season with chopped basil, garlic powder, a little sugar and some oregano. 
Bring to a boil and then lower and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes.

Serve over your favorite pasta.



No comments:

Post a Comment