Monday, January 23, 2012

Coleslaw With Celery Seed

About two weeks ago, my husband and I were walking down the spice aisle in a local grocery store. Looking at the rows and rows of spice bottles and jars I decided it was time to purchase something that didn't already have a home in my spice cabinet.

Generally speaking, the foods I prepare rely on a pretty basic list of seasonings - and I decided it was time to spice things up and purchase some new little bottles to put in my already overstuff cabinet.

That night I decided I was going to try and use a new spice at least once a week for the next couple of weeks. I purchased a bottle of celery seed for the first week and ground mustard for the second week. Sadly, the spices sat patiently waiting for about two weeks before I got to work on the experiment.

Last Thursday I finally got out the bottle of celery seed. (You could it breathe a sigh of relief at finally getting some air!) I decided to give it a try in my regular, basic coleslaw to check out how it would change up the flavor. I got out the bag of shredded cabbage and got right to work on the dressing - and shortly thereafter everyone was trying the "new coleslaw".

After tasting the coleslaw I decided that I liked the new twist on my regular coleslaw dressing. According to my taste buds, the addition of the celery seeds gave a slight tang and taste of bread and butter pickles (which I love). Levi agreed that it tasted great and my two kids happily ate it without comment - which believe me is a sign that they like it.

Up next is the ground mustard....we shall see how that goes.

Coleslaw With Celery Seed

Shredded cabbage
Canola oil
Rice vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
a little sugar or splenda
Celery seed

Place cabbage in a bowl, add seasonings, mix and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment