Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Asian Style Spaghetti

As a child, one of my favorite storybooks was "More Spaghetti, I Say", by Rita Golden Gelman. I have great memories of reading this book and I remember being fascinated by the huge amounts of spaghetti in the pictures. Additionally, it was probably one of my favorites because I really do love spaghetti.

I love spaghetti and pasta in general and there are countless ways to have your spaghetti fix. Some people like cream sauces, others like tomato based sauces. I like most people have a good number of favorite spaghetti dishes. 

This past Shabbat I took a favorite pasta salad recipe and changed up and turned it into a hot spaghetti dish. 
This spaghetti dish involves sautéing some vegetables and then adding some soy sauce, rice vinegar and other seasonings and then "recooking" the spaghetti in the pot. 

I sent Shabbat dinner to a friend last week, and the next morning she was raving about the spaghetti, and asked if I could post the recipe to UnRecipes - so here it is.

Asian Style Spaghetti

1 lb spaghetti
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
6 scallions
1/4 lb snowpeas 
canola oil
soy sauce
rice vinegar
garlic powder
black pepper
sugar

Wash peppers and cut into thin slices. Cut snowpeas diagonally. Slice scallions. Heat some canola oil in a pan and then add the peppers and allow to get slightly soft. Then add the snowpeas and scallions. When the vegetables are somewhat soft, remove them from the fire and set aside. Cook spaghetti. After spaghetti has been drained, return to the pot. Add a little oil, some soy sauce (enough to turn the spaghetti light brown), a few sprinkles of rice vinegar, garlic powder, black pepper and sugar. Add in the sauteed veggies. Turn flame to medium high and mix frequently. Cook just until some of the spaghetti starts to crisp. Serve warm. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment