Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tomato, Onion and Cornflake Crumb Coated Salmon

I sometimes joke that I am, "recipe challenged". You may not believe this, but there are many, many times where I will take out a cookbook, get to work on a recipe I have found and then twenty minutes later I will discover that I have completely mixed up the ingredients or instructions. While instructions are certainly useful, I have found that most of the time I use a recipe as a springboard for my own creation. Sometimes I modify a recipe because I don't have a certain ingredient in the house, and other times because I simply don't like a given ingredient. At other times I revise a recipe because I have no patience for multiple steps in my cooking and just want to get done quickly. Luckily, the vast majority of my recipe experiments turn out to be just what I want to eat :)

A few years back I came upon a salmon recipe that I wanted to try. The first time I prepared this recipe I actually followed the given instructions, yet the next time I decided to experiment and see if I could get it to be something that I would love. Last night I made this salmon for dinner and it was super delicious!

Tomato, Onion and Cornflake Crumb Coated Salmon

4 1/2 lbs fresh salmon (skin and bones removed)
black pepper
salt
3 tablespoons French's mustard
3 tablespoons honey
6 small tomatoes (I used Campari - Roma would be good too)
1/2 vidalia onion
1 1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil
a handful of fresh basil - chopped
garlic powder

Preheat oven to 385.
Cut the salmon into roughly 7 oz fillets. Place salmon in a glass baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix honey and mustard together and then brush onto the salmon. Slice tomatoes and onions into thin slices. Start with one piece of fish - place a tomato slice one end of the fish and then place some onion, then some tomato - continue the pattern until the slice of fish is covered, then move on to the next piece of fish until all are covered with tomatos and onions. Mix cornflake crumbs with olive oil, garlic powder and chopped basil. Place crumb coating over the tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle the tops of the fish with a little bit of water and place a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the dish. Cover with foil and place in the oven. Bake until salmon flakes easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment