Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crunchy Chicken

Having a severe milk allergy, I am super duper careful with what goes into my mouth. After having seen dairy potato chips in bags of pareve chips on more than one occasion, I stopped eating potato chips a good number of years ago. A few years ago when I was in Israel I discovered that they have potato chips that are made in a dairy free facility - and I quickly made friends with the potato chips. So of all weird things to bring home from Israel (or to have friends bring home for me), I bring pretty red bags of Osem potato chips.

I recently found that one of the bags of chips seemed to have gone through a lot of trauma and all the chips were crushed. Today I decided to put that bag of chips to good work and did a little experiment. I opened up the bag, poured the chips into a dish and worked on crushing those oily, salty bits of potato even further. Once they were sufficiently crushed I used them to coat tonight's shnitzel.  Turns out that the potato chips make a delicious and super crunchy chicken coating! So whether you are trying to finish off chips left from a party, or simply are looking for a dinner with a good crunch, I am sure this chicken will please your family.

Crunchy Chicken


Chicken breast - cut into strips
Eggs
Garlic powder
Onion powderPotato chips
Oil


Preheat oven to 400.
Prepare chicken strips and place in a bowl. Beat eggs with a fork and pour into the bowl which has the chicken. Sprinkle in some garlic powder and onion powder. Mix the chicken so that all pieces are coated with the egg. Pour potato chips into a dish and crush. Pour some oil into a glass baking dish (or jelly roll pan), and tilt the dish so that it is coated with the oil. Dip chicken into the crushed potato chips and make sure the chicken is totally coated. Place chicken strips in the dish in a single layer - do not overcrowd. Place in oven and let bake - when the chicken looks crispy it is time to flip the pieces of chicken over. When the second side looks crispy they are done. If your pieces are not too thick they can be ready within 15 minutes (sometimes less!).
Serve with ketchup or your favorite dip.


No comments:

Post a Comment