Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Roasted Peppers

This may seem strange to some, but I love vegetables.  Veggies of all varieties seem to make their way into my meals on a very regular basis. Vegetables make appearances in my salads, soups and sauces - and often time they perform solo - being the single ingredient in a dish.

Red, yellow and orange peppers are frequent visitors to my kitchen (I'm not a great fan of their cousins the green peppers).
These beautiful and sweet peppers make their way into many of my salads (they are a great way to add color), and into my vegetable pasta sauce.  I sautĂ© them and add them to pasta and rice and even use them in vegetable soups.

My favorite way to eat these colorful peppers is simply to roast them. When roasted with herbs and spices in a very hot oven, the peppers get soft and crisp. They begin to taste sweet and tangy. Roasted peppers are a delicious side for your dinner or can be a tasty add in to a salad. It is incredible to me how such a simple recipe can produce such a delightful dish.

Roasted Colored Peppers

Red, yellow and orange bell peppers
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Fresh basil

Preheat oven to 425. Wash peppers and slice into strips. Place peppers in a glass dish or on a cookie sheet (with sides is best). Drizzle peppers with olive oil, salt, pepper garlic and chopped basil. Mix well. Make sure that the peppers are pretty much only in one layer - this will make sure that they really get roasted. Place peppers in the oven (preferably the top rack) and allow to roast.  I like mine to be well done - this takes between 20-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment: