Friday, March 25, 2011

Cornflake Crumb Coated Shnitzel

If you are a mother, then you are probably like most moms I know. I imagine that when it comes to cooking dinner you want to create something that is quick and easy, delicious, healthy - AND something your children will eat.

Luckily for me, my two kids are pretty healthy eaters (though one day my son Shalom announced that I must give him candy because he hadn't any had yet that day - I must've missed the memo stating that giving your kids candy every day is a must). For the most part they will eat lots of fruits and veggies which makes me quite happy. The tricky part with my kids is usually the protein part of dinner. Hamburgers have to be made a specific way, meatballs need to be a certain texture, salmon needs to be pretty pink and not have too much "stuff" on it, and chicken needs to be prepared in a few tried and true fashions.

When it comes to "shnitzel" I usually end up making what my kids refer to as chicken nuggets - though I can tell you they do not resemble chicken nuggets I've seen at any eatery. When I was in high school in Montreal, my aunt made fried "shnitzel" for Shabbat almost every single week. My aunt is an awesome cook, but I will say that the shnitzel was certainly a favorite.

When I got married and became the cook in my family, I thought about frying shnitzel - but to be honest, I don't have all that much patience for standing in front of a frying pan and turning each and every piece. I decided to try and duplicate the shnitzel - but without using a frying pan.

I quickly taught myself that the coated shnitzel can be oven fried and can be super delicious.  Every time I make these "chicken nuggets" they are finished off to the last drop!

Sooo..if you are like me and don't want to spend all that time frying your shnitzel - here's how to make it!

Cornflake Crumb Coated Shnitzel


Chicken breast - cut into strips
Eggs
Cornflake crumbs
Salt
Garlic
Oil


Preheat oven to 400.
Prepare chicken strips and place in a bowl. Beat eggs with a fork and pour into the bowl which has the chicken. Mix the chicken so that all pieces are coated with the egg. Pour cornflake crumbs into a dish and mix in some salt and garlic powder (feel free to use other spices - I just know this is how my kids will eat it). Pour some oil into a glass baking dish (or jelly roll pan), and tilt the dish so that it is coated with the oil. Dip chicken into the cornflake crumb mixture and make sure the chicken is totally coated. Place chicken strips in the dish in a single layer - do not overcrowd. Place in oven and let bake - when the chicken looks crispy it is time to flip the pieces of chicken over. When the second side looks crispy they are done. If your pieces are not too thick they can be ready within 15 minutes (sometimes less!).
Serve with ketchup or your favorite dip.


Some notes:
Of course you can make these in foil pans - I have just found that the chicken is more crispy when baked in glass or on jelly roll pans.
If you need to use racks in your oven - make sure to flip the trays in the middle - the chicken will get crispier when cooked on the top rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment