Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Zucchini Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze

While grabbing some salad veggies from my "spare fridge" in the garage - I noticed some lonely zucchinis sitting in the bottom drawer. I checked them out and found that they were still fit for consumption. (Sometimes there are surprises - I am sure this happens to you too!) Wondering what to do with them I decided I would bake some zucchini cupcakes for my Tuesday night Torah and Tea class. (Not really sure if it's a class - more like a girl chat night with the added bonus of Torah study!)

A few years back my friend Linda came by to bake some zucchini bread with me. I'll admit it, at first I was pretty skeptical - zucchini? in my dessert? She assured me it would be delicious...and I was not disappointed - as a matter of fact I loved it!

Yesterday the Torah and Tea ladies were treated to some zucchini bread cupcakes with the addition of a lemon glaze - they were hit! One friend even asked if I was joking when I mentioned there was zucchini hiding in her cupcake:)

I got this recipe from Linda a good number of years ago and have only made  a few tweaks to match my personal tastes.

Here is the recipe - and happy baking!

Zucchini Cupcakes


3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini (I used my food processor for this part.)
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder


Yield: 25 cupcakes


Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs with sugar. Add oil, zucchini and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Using a small ladle, fill cupcake wrappers in a muffin tin and bake for about 45 minutes. 


When cupcakes are done, use a fork to poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes. Drizzle the glaze over the hot cupcakes and then allow to cool.


Lemon Glaze


3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup of lemon juice


Mix sugar and lemon juice well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment