Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The International Conference of Chabad Shluchos


Last week my family joined me in visiting NY as I attended the International Conference of Chabad Shluchos (the women Chabad emissaries).  This conference is held each year during the weekend of the 22nd day of the month of Shvat as this is the day of Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka's (the Rebbe's wife) passing. 

My husband was thrilled to be able to spend some time with his family and my kids loved having hours to play with their cousins. Shabbat was really lovely at my brother's home - and I was lucky enough to have 3  visitors from my Birthright trip last  January join us for dinner. 

During the conference on Thursday and Friday I had the opportunity to see cousins and friends whom I hadn't seen in ages - while listening to interesting speakers and checking out new resources for Chabad House across the globe. Interacting with "Shluchos" from all over gave me the opportunity to share ideas and arm myself with some new ones too!

The highlight of the conference was surely the banquet at the Hilton in NYC on Sunday night. Imagine if you can for a moment, a ballroom filled with 2,000 women who run Chabad Houses all around the world. It was an awesome sight - at my table alone there were women from the Georgia, Florida, Sao Paolo, Brazil, and the Netherlands to name a few. The speakers did a phenomenal job and were truly inspiring. It was a true reminder of how Chabad is available for every Jewish soul, no matter where on this earth he or she may be. It was a reminder for of how incredible this path I have chosen for my life is - and a reminder of the incredible things each and every individual can accomplish. 

As I listened to the "roll call" at the end of the evening when each and every Chabad House location was named, I was awestruck by the span of Chabad Lubavitch. It filled me with pride to be a part of this incredible network of people who have dedicated their lives to helping people around the globe in a multitude of ways. 

Of course an "Un-Recipes" post would not be complete without a recipe and so I will share a recipe for a salad I enjoyed during my Shabbat meal at my brother's home. This recipe is not mine, but rather that of my sister in law Zlata :)

Hearts of Palm - Avocado Salad

1 can hearts of palm, sliced
2 avocados, cut into chunks
Grape tomatoes, halved
Canola oil
Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment