Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grilled Flatbread

Like the rest of the world, I can usually have some pretty crazy, hectic days.  Delicious, but easy and quick to prepare recipes are a must for busy days! Knowing that I was heading out to run with a friend at 5:30 I decided to get cracking on dinner at about 4 so that everything would pretty much be ready to go when I got back. I quickly peeled and chopped veggies and created a vegetable soup. Next up was to put together the beef chili and let that start simmering.

 I decided that instead of making pasta or rice to go with the chili - we would be eating it on grilled flatbreads. (I found the recipe in a great new cookbook -  "Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking.) So I mixed up the dough for the flatbreads - it took less than 5 minutes - and set it to rise.

At 5:30 my hubby walked in the door and headed out to run with my friend. Just under an hour later I returned and after catching my breath I went to finish up the flatbreads. The dough had plenty of time to rise and I worked fast to get them onto my Griddler to grill them so we could eat!! A few minutes later all 6 flatbreads had taken a turn on my "grill" and we were ready to eat. The flatbreads were PERFECT and finished to every last drop!

This recipe came from the Fresh and Easy Kosher Cooking cookbook...I have modified the amount of flour and the selection of spices. Enjoy!

Grilled Flatbread

1 tsp sugar
2 3/4 tsp dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
Dried oregano
Granulated garlic

Oil for brushing

Place sugar and yeast in a bowl and then add the water. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to allow the yeast to proof. Add the flour, salt and some sprinklings of oregano and garlic. Mix well. Allow to rise for at least one hour.

Heat Griddler (or grill pan or any indoor grilling thingy) to high. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Flatten out each piece as best as you can. (The recipe calls for rolling it out - but being that I was in a hurry and my rolling pin is way higher than I can reach - I just opted to flatten it to the best of my ability.) Brush both sides with oil and place on the grill. Grill for a few minutes on each side - happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment