Friday, October 22, 2010

Broccoli Salad


As my Challah dough mixes on the counter, I decided to share a recipe for one of the salads on tonight's menu.

A few months back, a friend emailed me for a salad recipe, and let me know that she thinks I am a "Salad Queen". While I wouldn't go that far, I certainly do enjoy creating a delicious salad.

The prospect of making an interesting salad always excites me. I love to explore and combine a medley of veggies (and fruits!) to create something beautiful and tasty. 

Amongst my menu of salads tonight will be the "Broccoli Salad". This salad is a newcomer to my directory of salads. 

A few summers back, my camp staff (who live in my house) made a broccoli salad each week. A number of weeks ago I found myself with half a bag of broccoli in my refrigerator, I decided that I should do something to save it. Deciding upon a broccoli salad, I tried to get the recipe from one of the girls who made it, but I was running out of time - and did a little googling and then made my own version of this salad.

True, it has oh so healthy broccoli, but don't let that scare you, it is truly a tasty dish. It has sweet, crunchy, and a healthy veggie...what could be better than that?

So here is the "unrecipe" for the Broccoli Salad - I hope you enjoy it, I know we will tonight!

Shabbat Shalom!!

Broccoli Salad

Broccoli (In order for broccoli to be used in a Kosher kitchen, it must first be inspected for insects. I do this by soaking the broccoli in water with some salt, or even dish soap. After it soaks, I check it to make sure there are no bugs stuck on the broccoli.)
Chopped almonds
Craisins
Red onion (diced)
Honey
Mayonnaise
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

(sorry for the lack of measurements, but on this one I really just mix it all up - give it a whirl, you  might surprise yourself.)

Place broccoli, Craisins, almonds and red onion in a bowl. 
In a separate bowl, mix the honey, mayo, salt, pepper and garlic. 
Pour dressing over salad, mix, and then allow the salad to sit in the dressing for a little while before serving. (I mix it a few times while it is in the sitting stage.)






No comments:

Post a Comment