Monday, October 25, 2010

Going Green - With Zucchini Soup

Grey and dreary days simply beg for soup.

Today is no exception, with a gray sky and the pitter patter of rain on my skylight, I knew today was a soup day.

When I first got married I made exactly three soups; chicken, tomato and mushroom barley. A lot has changed since then! Soups are now a very frequent visitor to our dinner table, both on Shabbat and during the week.

I have discovered that a good soup is a healthy and filling dish. (The bonus is that many times it's a great way to get veggies into my kids!) A number of years back I came upon a zucchini soup recipe in a Kosher By Design cookbook, and that is how my soup obsession began.

Zucchini soup remains a favorite of mine, and my daughter Mushky's too! A reason for this, is that it is soooo easy to make and is ready in a very short amount of time...what could be better than quick and easy!

I no longer follow a recipe when making this soup, however I did make note of what went into the pot when I made it just a few minutes ago :)

Once your beautiful green soup is ready, top with some Osem soup croutons and enjoy!

Zucchini Soup


(This is how I made it tonight, it varies from time to time - go ahead an experiment, you might enjoy it!)


Canola oil
2 big onions
5 medium sized zucchinis
2 cloves garlic
handful of fresh parsley (I have small hands!)
5 medium sized basil leaves
leftover chicken soup
dill
oregano
salt
pepper




1. Cut the onions into chunks and brown in some oil.
2. Add in slightly chunked garlic.
3. Slice the zucchinis and add to the pot (no need to peel!!)
4. Add in the parsley and basil.
5. Let everything cook on the fire and get a little brown, and of course soft.
(Tonight I used leftover chicken soup for the liquid - you could use water with consomme powder or simply use water for a slightly different taste) 
6. Add enough liquid to cover the veggies - but really just about to cover, don't put it too much higher, or your soup will be too thin.
7. Sprinkle a few shakes dill, oregano, black pepper and salt.
8. Allow to boil, then lower.
9. When zucchini is soft, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment