Monday, October 10, 2011

Scallion Dip

A few weeks back, with Rosh Hashanah approaching, I told my husband that I felt like I was on a roller coaster - doing the climb to the top - and that Rosh Hashanah is the top of the incline and then whooooosh...you zoom down at super speeds to the end of the month of Tishrei. Do you know that feeling? The feeling that sort of makes you go ahhhhhhh, eeeeeeeeeeeeeee....as you head faster and faster from one holiday to the next. Roller coasters are exhilarating and super fast  - the Jewish month of Tishrei has me feeling exactly the same! The planning, the shopping, the cooking and eating, the Mitzvot, the stories and of course the visiting family all add up to an exhilarating ride!

Being that this month seems to rush along at super high speeds, I can barely believe that Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur have come and gone. As I move forward into Sukkot, Shmini Atzeret and Simchat Torah I am confidant that Hashem has granted us a wonderful and sweet year - and so I happily  plan menus, shop and cook as we celebrate Sukkot and thank Hashem for many the miracles He performed for us in the desert so many years ago - and for the many blessings and miracles we see on a daily basis.

As you get to planning all of those delicious Sukkot meals - here is a recipe for scallion dip. About two months ago I was trying to think of a new dip to grace my Shabbat table. I happened to remember flipping through my cousin's Chabad House cookbook (Thank you Henya at Chabad at University of Wisconsin!). I based my scallion dip on hers and made a few small changes. Scallion dip has been a huge hit so far and works perfectly as a dip for Challah and  chicken fingers and as a sauce or dressing for fish and salads.

Scallion Dip

2 bunches scallions
Mayonnaise 
Sugar (or Splenda if needed)
Salt
Garlic Powder
Lemon Juice

Wash scallions well and trim the ends. Cu the scallions into chunks and place in a food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Chop. Add mayonnaise (start with 1 cup) and then process together with the scallions. Add mayo until the dip is smooth and and about the consistency of a creamy salad dressing. Add a dash of lemon juice, a little salt, a little garlic powder and some sugar. Process again. Serve with your favorite foods and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment