Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shana Tova U'Mituka

Everyone has their own way of knowing Rosh Hashanah is on the way. Looking at my printouts of menu upon menu is one way. Finalizing hours and hours of kids' programming to be used during services (about 8 hours to be exact - kids at Chabad House are never bored during services!!) is another way. Getting covered in Shofar dust and helping 40 kids and their grown ups make working Shofars is yet another way.
No matter how you get your "Rosh Hashanah is coming signal" - Rosh Hashanah is most certainly on the way!

Rosh Hashanah is one of those holidays that fills me with awe and excitement. Rosh Hashanah gives me time to reflect on the past year. To relive my accomplishments, to revisit the areas in my life that need some working on (as I tell my students, we all can do some mistake fixing) and of course to offer G-d many, many thanks for the bountiful blessings He has bestowed upon me in the past year. I look back and I realize that another year has passed and Baruch Hashem - thank G-d, my family is all healthy, we have a beautiful home to live in and plenty of delicious food to eat, I have an incredible husband and amazing family - and for this I am so grateful to Hashem. I use Rosh Hashanah as a time to speak with G-d and ask of Him to please be kind to my family, my friends, the Jewish nation and the world in general, and grant us all a year that is filled with nothing but pure sweetness.

As I continue to work on my Rosh Hashanah preparations, I wish you a Shana Tova u'Mituka - may the coming year bring you only joy and happiness and may any of your challenges in life be quickly and easily resolved.

In keeping with the sweet theme, I have included my recipe for my Honey Chiffon Cake. The original recipe is from the purple Spice and Spirit cookbook - here it is posted the way I make it. I like my honey cake to be light and fluffy and the only spice I add is cinnamon - however you can certainly add spices such as ginger, nutmeg or cloves should you desire.

Honey Chiffon Cake


3 tablespoons oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 cup honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 3/4 cups flour
a good sprinkling of cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons instant coffee


Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar. Add egg yolks and honey. In a separate bowl,  place baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix the coffee into the orange juice and add to batter. Add dry ingredients to bowl. Mix well. 


Beat egg whiles in a separate bowl and then gently fold them into the batter. Pour into an ungreased pan (9 x 13) and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.


Shana Tova!


No comments:

Post a Comment