Monday, April 23, 2012

A Trip to Nags Head



Last week, Levi and I headed out for a little trip to Nags Head for a little, mini vacation. After a good number of very hectic weeks, we decided to catch a little calm before the next storm of activity begins. Nags Head seemed like the perfect place to chill (literally too - it was freezing!!) and relax. Having never been to to the Outer Banks before, I quickly fell in love with the area. I loved that we were on a little strip of land with water on both sides, I loved the sound of the ocean roaring as I fell asleep at night, and I loved the relaxation that comes with being on a very empty beach. We walked the beach, climbed the sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge State Park and then flew our newly purchased kite at the top! (I was just a little annoyed with our kite which within seconds of getting up in the air the first time, took a sharp nose dive straight into the back of my head.) It was truly an enjoyable two days.

When we arrived at home on Friday afternoon, we had to create Shabbat dinner for about 18 people. Knowing that we would have limited time, I fell back on my easiest recipes that require very little hands on time.  My menu consisted of, homemade Challah, chicken soup with noodles, brisket (that I took out of the freezer!), spiced potatoes, roasted baby peppers, a garden salad, hearts of palm-avocado salad and a corn salad. (I even baked a cake - but there is a first time for everything - and my cake didn't bake properly, and so we had to manage without dessert.)

The menu was super easy to prepare and I didn't have to spend hours in the kitchen :)

Here is the recipe for the potatoes - super easy and super delish!

Spiced Potatoes

Red potatoes (leave skin on)
Canola oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika
A small amount of Osem Consomme

Preheat oven to 425. Scrub potatoes well and cut into small chunks. Place potatoes in a glass baking dish. Add a little canola oil and all of the spices and the consommé. Mix well and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place in oven and allow to cook until potatoes are very soft. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment