Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bake A Cake & Eat It Too!

I love birthdays - and today is my special day:)

When a Jewish soul enters the world, it is a special moment for the entire Jewish nation.

Each year when my birthday rolls around, I take a moment, and reflect on the past year. I remind myself of the wonderful things which transpired, the miraculous moments I experienced and of course I thank G-d for helping me through the difficult spots. A birthday reminds me that Hashem has put me on this earth with a purpose - to help make the world a better place, and on my birthday I reaffirm my commitment to do just that.

Celebrating one's Jewish birthday is no doubt an important milestone each year. (To find out when your Jewish birthday is and how to celebrate it click here.) We are taught that our Jewish birthday is a day to improve in our observance of a Mitzvah, or to bring an additional Mitzvah in to our lives. It is a day to give extra charity and be kind to others. It is a day to be grateful to G-d for the amazing blessings in our lives.

It is said that one celebrating their Jewish birthday has the power to bless others on that day. Being that today, the 27th day of Cheshvan, is my Jewish birthday, I would like to share a blessing for you.

To quote a song by the Jewish band, 8th Day, "May the heavens swing open, and all your hearts desires rain down on you!" May G-d bless you with all that you need and grant you many blessings in your life.

And with that I share with you my favorite birthday cake recipe!  (It's the recipe inside the pretty pink cupcake pictured in this post!)

Rashi's Birthday Cake Recipe


2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil
3 ½ cups flour
4 tsps baking powder
1 cup Tropicana orange juice
1/3 cup water
2 tsps vanilla extract

1. Beat eggs and sugar together.
2. Add oil flour, baking powder, OJ, water and vanilla extract.
3. Mix well.
4. Pour into desired cake pan or muffin tins.
5. Bake on 350 until golden brown. (You can check to make sure it is done by inserting a toothpick - it is done when the toothpick comes out dry.)

2 comments:

  1. happy birthday! love your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rashi, so cute - I will try I am sure it's tasty. Chaiky by the way. Saw your bros at wedding:) Would of loved to see you.

    ReplyDelete