Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes





With just a tiny bit of summer vacation left yesterday afternoon, I made the spur of the moment decision that we should go blueberry picking. My big kids had been at camp for 8 weeks and I wanted to do something fun with them before heading back to school. We had SO much fun! To begin with, Mushky and Shalom spotted some wagons and decided that they wanted to be passengers - we all had some good laughs as we pulled our 10 and 12 year old along in a wagon :) Shaya LOVED having his own wagon all to himself. Everyone enjoyed looking for good looking blueberries and Shaya's eyes were wide with wonder at the sight of one of his favorite foods growing on a bush! It was a perfect ending to a wonderful summer break.

On the way home we discussed what we would do with our big bag of blueberries - and it was decided that we would have blueberry pancakes for breakfast for the first day of school. I am not quite sure what I was thinking when I agreed to make pancakes, while knowing that I had to be at work early. But, a promise is a promise! I got up bright and early, got in a small workout and then headed home to make the pancakes! It was a great start to the school year!

Here is the pancake recipe! In reality it is the regular pancake recipe I use..but with the fun addition of blueberries!

Blueberry Pancakes

2 cups flour
4 tsps. baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup orange juice
1 cup water
2 1/2 tbsps oil
A sprinkle of vanilla extract
A few handfuls of fresh blueberries. 


Add all of the ingredients into a bowl - except for the blueberries - and mix well. I find that a whisk does a nice job of mixing pancake batter. Then gently fold in the blueberries. I make my pancakes on my Cuisinart Griddler. I spray the griddler plates with some Pam before I start. I set the griddle to to about 350 degrees. Using a small ladle, pour pancake batter onto the griddle. Wait for the pancakes to bubble - this is your cue that it is time to flip them! Happy pancake eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment