Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gratitude and Green Beans

Being a kindergartner, my son Shalom takes everything his teachers say quiet seriously - and so in recent days Thanksgiving has been a big topic of discussion for him - particularly the food :) Today he let me know that there is a list of things we MUST eat tomorrow.

While he has come home with stories of Pilgrims, the Mayflower and a menu,   I am hoping he has also learned about gratitude.

As Jews we begin our day by reciting "Mode Ani", we thank G-d for returning our souls to us and for the many blessings He bestows upon us. We thank Him for the opportunity to have yet another day to accomplish great things.

In a world with much darkness, I find that it is so important to be grateful for all that we do have. We need to take the time to focus on the wonderful things in our midst - and to thank G-d for them. When I see my two adorable, healthy children I can't help but smile with gratitude to G-d for these two little people who make my life so interesting on a daily basis :)

Speaking of little people, Shalom did inform me that it is very important to eat green beans on Thanksgiving, and so here is one of my favorite green bean "recipes".

Green Beans


Fresh green beans
Canola oil
Brown sugar
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder


(These turn out best when made in a wok.)


Pour a little oil into the wok and heat on high.
Add the green beans. 
Stir the green beans frequently. 
Add salt, peper, garlic and then roughly a tablespoon of brown sugar. 
Allow the green beans to cook until they are well done (they will almost appear to be caramelized) - yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment