Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Basil

About five years ago Levi and I spent a Shabbos with one of my aunts in Brooklyn. Right after Kiddush she went to the kitchen to finish up the salads and I went to join her. I saw her chopping up what appeared to be a bunch of green leaves, and I was curious. Oddly enough I don't think I had ever noticed fresh basil until that Friday night. She explained how she chops up the basil and makes it into a dip. I took one taste of the basil dip and was totally hooked.

When we got back home my new mission was to locate fresh basil. (Now I don't have to look for it in stores anymore during the summer because I plant my own and have plenty of basil at my disposal all summer long!!!) The basil dip then became one of my absolute favorite dips for my Challah. When I excitedly told my mother about my new find she let me know that she "hates basil!" To this day my mother marvels at how she loves the basil dip, even though she hates basil :)

Before long fresh basil became a staple in my kitchen. I love buying a big bunch of fresh, beautifully green basil. Taking it out of its packaging is a treat as I LOVE the aroma of basil. I slowly began to experiment to see where basil could enhance our culinary experience.

Over the years I have found many a home in my recipes for this delicious, fragrant herb. Once you have used fresh basil in a recipe you quickly discover that the dried kind in a jar doesn't even come close.

If you have yet to use fresh basil I recommend that you get some and give it a whirl!!

To help you get started here is a list of my favorite uses for basil:
Basil dip (recipe included in this post), all the various pureed vegetable soups I create, fresh Challah croutons, roasted vegetables or sweet potatoes, pita crisps, focaccia bread or even in panini!

Enjoy the basil!

Basil Dip

Fresh basil
a few cloves fresh garlic
olive oil
salt


1. Wash all basil leaves and check for bugs in accordance with Jewish law.
2. Chop up basil (don't worry about having tiny pieces).
3. Chop up a few cloves of fresh garlic.
4. Cover basil and garlic with olive oil.
5. Season with a little salt.
6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment