Monday, November 29, 2010

Lots of Latkes

Simply put - I love Chanukah! Our home truly fills with a warm glow when we all gather around to light the Menorah. As the beautiful flames on our Menorah dance happily I am filled with a wonderful warmth and happiness. I savor the moments my family spends together singing and enjoying the Chanukah spirit.
When the flames twinkle and shed light upon my home I am reminded that a simple bit of light, or a simple bit of kindness, can truly light up our world.

Of course Chanukah also means that my electric skillet is about to get quite a workout. When Chanukah rolls in I get to make lots and lots of latkes. I don't know about you, but I can't resist a soft on the inside, crisp on the outside latke!

Get brave this Chanukah (after all the Maccabees were brave!) and make your own latkes!

Before I get to the recipe here are just a few notes about the way I make latkes.
-My latkes truly resemble pancakes, meaning that I use the chopping blade in my food processor as opposed to grating my potatoes.
-It is best to fry your latkes in an electric skillet. The electric skillet has the ability to maintain a set temperature which ensures that your latkes will fry more evenly.
-A trick for making latkes in advance - don't drain them on a paper towel after frying them, rather set them on a cookie sheet. Freeze the latkes on the cookie sheet. When they are frozen you can store them in Ziploc bags. When you have your Chanukah dinner/party all you need to do is set the latkes on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven on 350 until they start to sizzle - they will taste like they were just fried.


Potato Latkes

5 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
2 eggs
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups flour
Sprinkle of lemon juice or vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Peel onion and chunk as well. Place potatoes and onions in food processor bowl fitted with metal chopping blade. Process until potatoes and onions are smooth. Place mixture in a mixing bowl and immediately add a sprinkle of lemon juice or white vinegar to stop the potatoes from getting grey. Add eggs, oil, flour and salt and pepper. (You may find that you need to adjust the amount of flour.) Mix well. 
Heat oil in an electric skillet, or in a frying pan. 
Place batter in the hot oil by the spoonful. When the latkes bubble it is time to flip them over.
Yield :Approximately 30 Latkes

No comments:

Post a Comment