Wednesday, September 14, 2011

An Anniversary Dinner

Maybe I am strange, but I have volumes of wonderful memories which are attached to my parents first set of china. Even so many years after they have stopped using it (eventually it was time to retire it and get a new set), I can still remember the beautiful Shabbat dinners in our home in Virginia Beach and practically taste the wonderful food which was always served up on them. It is a beautiful set of white china with a big black border with intricate designs and gold edging. While my own set of china is probably the polar opposite of their china - I still love the way it looks. A few years back I somehow ended up with these dishes in my possession. With my husband questioning me as to why I could possibly need my mother's old dishes, I responded that one day I would pull them out and serve dinner on them. Yesterday the occasion finally arrived!

Today my parents celebrate their 33rd anniversary and to celebrate we had them over for dinner last night. After deciding on a menu of carrot-sweet potato soup, baked salmon, roasted veggies and sweet potatoes, a garden salad and whipped cream and berries for dessert - I decided to add a special touch to our dinner. I got out my parents' china, dusted it off and set the table with them. A pretty pink tablecloth, cloth napkins tied with green ribbons and beautiful roses completed the look. I was pleased when my mother broke out with a big smile upon seeing her dishes sitting patiently on my table. 

My family enjoyed a lovely dinner together and as my parents celebrate 33 years together, I wish them many more happy years together!

And now for the recipe part...I am going to share my "recipe" for the roasted sweet potatoes we enjoyed last night.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Onion powder
Preheat oven to 400. Peel sweet potatoes and slice thinly. Place sweet potato slices on a pan (I use a jelly roll pan) and sprinkle with olive oil and the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Mix. Place pan on the top rack in your oven. Roast for about 15 minutes and then turn the potatoes over. Continue to roast until potatoes are soft with slightly crispy edges. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Looks Beautiful! and I'm sure it was delicious too! Mazel Tov!!!

    ReplyDelete